I love being outside in a new place.
This is the view of the town after climbing the hill to the playground.
Some of the tundra rocks & plants.
I’m a little over 2 weeks from my 22nd birthday, and as many things are changing in my life, I’ve been reflecting back on the first half of 2014 and what it has held.
- I completed my first marathon. I began training for the Walt Disney World Marathon in June 2013, and worked hard to overcome many obstacles and health issues along the way to running 42.2km in 6 hours on January 12, 2014.
- I traveled to Florida with my sister for the 2nd time. Since May 2012, our first visit to Florida, we’ve wanted to go back. We visited Harry Potter World for the 2nd time (and got to see the frog choir this time!) and got to visit Disney World for the first time. My sister and I are kind of obsessed with Disney and we’ll never get tired of it. I hope we get to go many more times in the future together.
- I went snowboarding. I went snowboarding when I was 16 with my church. I picked it up fast and have wanted to go back ever since. This past time was not as easy (I’m no longer a spry, young thing)… but an adventure and experience nonetheless.
- I got inked. These anchor tattoos mean a lot to me. They represent the journey my feet have taken me on thus far in my life, and more specifically, all the things I have overcome through training for my marathon. They make me think of my parents, the ocean, staying grounded in what I believe and never forgetting the past experiences that have shaped me into who I am now. I’ve wanted an anchor tattoo on my foot since I was 18, and I finally chose a spot and a design and made the plunge. So happy with them.
- I went bungee jumping. I’ve wanted to do this for a while, but I didn’t want to go alone. One of my co-workers wanted to go for her birthday, so she invited me and I had a blast. I will definitely do it again!
- I produced my first digitally recorded song. I took a class at university and learned how to use a recording software to make music. My final project for the class was a cover of John Legend’s “All of Me.” I did the singing and guitar playing and my TA played the piano part (beautifully I might add!).
- I directed a film that showed in our student film festival this spring. I didn’t get to do as much directing as I would have liked… but it was a good first experience and we managed to finish in time to show it at the festival. I learned a lot about bringing together a team, how to work with actors and the importance of planning (plan A,B,C all the way to Z).
- I tried an oxygen bar. My boyfriend and I went to a trade fair in his town and there was a booth where you could try oxygen for a while. I’ve seen these at airports and always wanted to try one. I didn’t know you got to choose flavours! I had peach, ginger, lavender and eucalyptus which I switched between for 15 minutes. We both felt very relaxed afterwards.
- I started my YouTube channel. I’ve wanted to start a YouTube channel for probably close to 7 years, but fear has held me back. I started with a video of my marathon experience, then a juice recipe video and finally I made a video about positivity. I’m planning on fully plunging into video making over the next 6 months with more vlogs, recipes and health kinds of videos.
- I’ve continued to transition and progress on my journey to becoming vegan. Since seeing FOOD INC. and Forks Over Knives and The Secret (not about veganism, but rather the law of attraction and power of positivity- which I believe correlates with my developing food philosophy) , and discovering many vegan advocates on YouTube (Dan, Kristina, Megan, Freelee, Tarah, Kassie) … I’ve been working on transitioning for over a year. I’ve had an unhealthy relationship with food for most of my teenage years, and this journey has been one of healing and endless benefits as I cut out more and more animal products and enjoy the produce that I believe I was designed to consume. I’ve become more mindful of how food makes me feel and have worked on adopting “food as medicine” as a key to how I eat.
So since I’ve done all this, and it’s only June… What does the rest of 2014 hold? Here are 10 things:
- See Michael Buble in concert in Vancouver (June 22)
- Move to Nunavut (July 16)
- Hit 100 followers on both this blog and my health blog. (Currently at 68 and 66)
- Post 12 videos on YouTube
- Go fully vegan (stop making excuses, get over the social aspect of being vegan)
- Record 3 songs that I’ve written
- Get another tattoo
- Train to be able to do 100 pushups in a row
- Study the greats and their work (artists, writers, philosophers to be selected)
- Upgrade my camera